[cvsnt-dev] Unicode file names

Torsten Martinsen torsten at vip.cybercity.dk
Tue Aug 1 21:28:42 BST 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:

>If you start the process using unicode APIs (CreatePrt8ocessW etc.) then cvsnt
>gets the filenames as unicode.  If you also pass --utf8 then it switches the
>client into utf8 [...]
>
>If you do that all the sandboxes with non-ASCII characters in their filenames
>will need an update and probably a re-checkout, since the entries files get
>written and parsed as UTF8.

I expect this means that once you have checked out using --utf8, you
MUST specify --utf8 on all successive CVS operations?

It would be nice if CVSNT could somehow detect that an existing sandbox
was "in UTF-8 mode" and do the right thing. Since an UTF-8 Entries file
is already incompatible with standard CVS, would it be possible to add
some magic string there?

-Torsten