[Cvsnt] Recommended use of email notification via loginfo??

Joachim Achtzehnter joachima at netacquire.com
Mon Dec 10 04:39:18 GMT 2001

In a message to cvsnt at cvsnt.org cvsnt downloads at march-hare.com @CVSNT on Twitter CVSNT on Facebook, Bo Berglund wrote:

> I would like to know what is the "normal" way of using the loginfo
> file? As I understand it loginfo is invoked whenever there is a commit
> in the repository.

Yes, the actions you specify in the loginfo file are invoked whenever a
matching file is committed.

> This causes email to be sent out to some or all users.

This depends entirely on what you put in the loginfo file. Often this will
be Perl scripts, in which case you'll have to read those scripts to figure
out what will happen. Our company uses a Perl script that appends an entry
to a (per module) changelog file. Another option is to send an email as
you pointed out.

> I guess that email goes out to people in the users admin file, but this
> file should really contain the email mapping for all users on the
> system. This makes the message go out to all users of CVS, maybe not
> quite what we want?

Again, this is entirely up to the scripts that are referenced in the
loginfo file. CVS itself doesn't do anything other than call these
scripts, optionally passing it certain arguments if so specified in the
loginfo file.

> When a watch is put on a file and it is committed then CVS uses the
> users file to translate usernames into email addresses, but only for
> those users who have in fact put themselves on the watch list. Then
> notify is called with this address list as input.

Yes, in this case CVS makes the assumption that you want to send email and
translates user names to email addresses before calling the script
specified in the notify file. It doesn't do this in the case of loginfo,
although a Perl script can do this itself, if desired.

> If loginfo does not use the users file, then I wonder where the system
> gets the addresses to which to send the commit info? Is it perhaps
> another manually maintained userlist?

You'll really have to look at the script file, CVS itself doesn't do
anything of the sort.

Joachim

--
work:     joachima at netacquire.com  (http://www.netacquire.com)