[cvsnt] Re: upgrading to latest version

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Aug 28 22:14:29 BST 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:41:38 +0000 (UTC), amwilliams at mindspring.com
(Aaron Williams) wrote:

>I'm wanting to upgrade CVSNT server (version 1.11.1.3 build 62) to the
>latest version.  I read in the documentation that there are some issues
>associated with upgrading.  Seems to be more complex than just copying
>over CVSROOT.

Why do you think you need to do anything with the repository files????
The install/uninstall/install cycle of CVSNT does not in any way touch
the repository files and rightly so.
Do you expect that uninstalling Microsoft Office would also erase all
of the Word documents you have produced with MSWord?
The repository is pure data that is handled by CVS and does not belong
to the CVS installation. That goes also for the CVSROOT directory in
each repository.

>Can someone who has done this before give any advice on how to make the
>transition or anything to look out for?

1. Uninstall CVSNT using the Add/Remove programs in Control Panel

2. Install CVSNT 2.0.8 using the setup file from the website

3. Start using your CVS server again, it will retain all of your old
settings intact. You don't need to do anything if you plan to use it
as before.

>Thanks - Aaron

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)