[cvsnt] Re: [OT] Question from the Subversion list for Tony

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Jun 9 23:44:27 BST 2003

John Peacock wrote:

> Tony -
>
> I seem to recall that you mentioned a while ago that certain Win32
> filesystem operations were not atomic, in that you could have a race
> condition after
> renaming/deleting a file.  The system was mysterious "Access Denied"
> errors under load.
>
> The same "feature" seems to have reared it's head in the subversion Win32
> port
> and I was hoping you could recall the details.  Specifically, what was it
> that you did to work around it?

Basically I rearranged the code to make the file close happen earlier and
some other stuff before the rename happens.  It seems to work most of the
time.

However some AV scanners make this problem even worse, by trying to open the
temporary file to scan it before the rename happens...  mostly that's just
a support issue, but you'll probably hit it sooner rather than later.