[cvsnt] Re: Why is cvswrapper being interpreted as an improper commit response?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Aug 10 01:21:33 BST 2004

Anne Bonham wrote:
> This problem could be either the server (CVSNT 2.0.12 on solaris 8) or our
> client, but I have posted to CVSgui list and haven't gotten a response.

2.0.12 is so old now it's unlikely anyone could replicate such an issue
anyway... (my usual advice is if it works, don't bother upgrading, but
if it breaks, upgrade!).

> I want to encourage our users to upgrade their WinCVS clients from 1.2 to
> 1.3.17 and I'm testing 1.3.17 with our implementation before doing so.
>
> So far, it appears that most everything is working fine but I notice on
> updates or commits, I get this funny output (along with a healthy status 0)
> Ultimately, the operation succeeds...

I've never seen such a thing (I remember it was possible in some early
builds to write a cvswrappers that could confuse the protocol, but that
has been long since removed as a problem).

> I do intend to upgrade our server soon, but was hoping to upgrade clients
> first - maybe this isn't a good idea?

Clients typically do little but reflect what's coming from the server..
they're pretty dumb.  The real changes come from upgrading the server.