[cvsnt] cvs checkout -d gives error instead of updating

David Somers dsomers at trevezel.com
Tue Jul 13 13:35:26 BST 2004

Tony said:
> You can but it must be exactly the same command, issued from the same
> directory.  If you change anything then it'll conflict.

Ah, so when you checkout into an existing sandbox, you automagically get the
update behaviour instead?

> eg.
>
> D:\t>cvs co -d foo cvsroot
> cvs checkout: Updating foo
> U foo/checkoutlist
> U foo/commitinfo
> U foo/config
> U foo/cvsrc
> U foo/cvswrappers
> U foo/editinfo
> U foo/historyinfo
> U foo/loginfo
>
> D:\t>cvs co -d foo cvsroot
> cvs checkout: Updating foo
> cvs checkout: Updating foo/itest
> cvs checkout: Updating foo/uptest
> cvs checkout: Updating foo/uptest/a
> cvs checkout: Updating foo/uptest/b
>
> btw. as seen above it works fine when done this way.

Sorry Tony... regret to say I so does NOT. I tried it just now. Am even
though I'm only on my second cup of coffee today, I'm pretty sure I'm seeing
this:

W:\tmp\zzzz>cvs co -d balls dev/cxref/cxref
cvs server: Updating balls
U balls/!magic
U balls/ANNOUNCE
U balls/COPYING
U balls/ChangeLog
U balls/FAQ
[snip]

W:\tmp\zzzz>cvs co -d balls dev/cxref/cxref
cvs server: Updating balls
cvs checkout: move away balls/!magic; it is in the way
C balls/!magic
cvs checkout: move away balls/ANNOUNCE; it is in the way
C balls/ANNOUNCE
cvs checkout: move away balls/COPYING; it is in the way
C balls/COPYING
cvs checkout: move away balls/ChangeLog; it is in the way
C balls/ChangeLog
cvs checkout: move away balls/FAQ; it is in the way
C balls/FAQ
[snip].

I'm running 2.0.41a, and so is Terence Wilson (well, I think he's running
that... he only specified 'latest stable version', which IIRC is still
2.0.41a). I just fired up 2.0.47 on another machine and I get the same :(

Cheers,

David