[cvsnt] Where are CVS ACL settings stored?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 22 02:14:40 GMT 2007

<bwhicks at aep.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.552.1195482974.24527.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...
> cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org wrote on 11/17/2007 06:42:17 PM:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm starting to experiment with CVS ACL settings and with the new VMFree
>
>> application, it makes it quite easy.  However, I was wondering exactly
> where
>> the ACL settings are stored.  Are they stored within files in the
> CVSROOT
>> directory (at the repo level),
>> or in a per-module basis?
>
> They are stored in the repository on a per-directory basis. Look in the
> CVS directories for a file called "fileattr.xml". it is possible to edit
> these by hand, but you should really use the cvs chacl and cvs rchacl
> commands.
>
> users should never be able to log in to the local machine. This would
> force them to use the chacl commands, but if an admin uses the chacl
> command to set "control" to deny for everyone but himself, then regular
> users can't change things.

Agreed; I never had any intention of allowing my users access to either the
server and/or the repository directories either.  However, to date, I've
been using the OS's ACLs to control access to the folders, and wasn't sure
how to prevent a regular user from running the cvs chacl command from their
own machine.  I guess I have to figure out how define who is a cvs admin
next, and then remove the "control" attribute from everyone but themselves.
Is there the concept of "groups" in cvs where I can specify ACLs based on
groups of users instead of individual users?

Thanks!

Eric