[cvsnt] Switch to user failed due to configuration error

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Nov 13 21:41:11 GMT 2008

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:09:35 -0600, Steve <sstamps at fastmail.net>
wrote:

>Arthur,
>
>I made the following changes:
>- Run as user = (client user)
>- Default domain = (default)
>   after JAVADOG was unsuccessful
>- Repository Location = C:/cvsRepositories/2009
>   it successfully created the new 2009 directory
>- Re-added users with "cvs -d /cvsRepositories/2009 passwd -a cvsadmin"
>
>I still get the same error message:
>Could not connect to :pserver.myself at localhost:/2009: I/O exception
>occurred: Connection refused: Fatal error, aborting.  myself: Switch to
>user failed due to configuration error.  Contact your System Administrator.
>
>The root cause of the error seems to be "Switch to user failed...".
>Does anyone know who/what is trying to switch from what user to what
>other user?  Who is stopping the switch.  This might help me figure it
>out on my own.
>
>     Thanks...   STeVe

Did you have a look at this webpage:
http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html#AddUsers

You need to alias pserver users to real accounts on the server or on
the domain. I'd recommend creating a local user on the server, which
you can alias to. That is what I have done in order to circumvent the
domain problems when using our CVSNT server from Solaris and Linux
clients. These connect with pserver or sserver via the aliased user.

But must you use pserver?
If you use sspi instead then you don't need to bother with the users
at all. Windows login will be sufficient to authenticate the users.

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)